October 14, 2010

"Shoemaker of the Stars" Salvatore Ferragamo

Salvatore Ferragamo
If there are two things I love it is Classic movies and amazing footwear! Both are a common passion with my girlfriends and I, and I thank my dear friend Alicia  for introducing me to the brand, and her love for Ferragamo  has rubbed off on me and inspired me to dig deeper and learn about the icon she and I love so much.
 His most famous shoe is the ‘Vara’ that started In the late 70’s and is still successful today. He Has been around since the 1920’s and is known as the shoemaker for the stars. He invented the cork wedge heel (one of my summer time favorites) and it was the inspiration for the Shoe worn by the lovely Judy Garland. In 1949 was when he created his first bad  which still hold true to be amazing with great craftsmanship today. He created the “Suede Ballerina with a strap” for the iconic Audrey Hepburn and has created shoes for actresses such as Brigette Bardot and even Madonna as ‘Evita’. In the 70’s he launched men’s shoes and clothing ( I absolutely love the way the suits fit… tres chic!). The recent drama “Australia” with Nicole Kidman was lucky enough to have Ferragamo design her shoe wardrobe. Ferragamo is a legend and had amazing designs. We all fall in love with labels but rarely learn about the art and the creator that is behind the label. Every designer has a story that is unique and truly inspiring.  (information courtesy of www.ferragamo.com)